Monday, October 12, 2009

French Bread


I love to bake bread and I have several yummy recipes. This is one I made for the first time over the weekend and will definitely make over and over. It takes a little more time and effort to make than most of my recipes but it was worth it. Plus, it makes two huge loaves of bread so I have some in the freezer for more meals (I cut the loaves in half and put them into freezer ziplock bags.) This tastes about the same as those loaves of French Bread you pick up fresh at the grocery store. I got the recipe from Real Mom Kitchen-thanks!!!

French Bread

2 ¼ cup warm water
2 Tbsp sugar
2 pkg. active dry yeast (I buy the jar kind so it was 4 1/2 tsp yeast)
1 Tbsp salt
2 Tbsp soft shortening or vegetable oil (I used canola)
6 cups flour

Directions:
In large mixer (I just do it in my kitchen aid with the dough hook), combine water and sugar then sprinkle with yeast. Allow to soften.
Add salt, oil, and half flour; mix well. Add remaining flour and mix. Leave mixer in dough.
Allow to rest 10 min. Stir dough down and allow to rest 10 min. Repeat until dough has been stirred dough 5 times. Turn dough on floured surface. Knead 2 or 3 times. Divide dough in 2.
Roll each dough into 9x13 inch rectangle. Roll from long side and pinch edges. Place on baking sheet with pam or cornmeal. Cover and allow to rise 30 min. With sharp knives cut 3 gashes at angle on top of dough. Bake 400 degrees for 30 min, check at 20 minutes (It took 25 minutes in my oven).

No comments:

Post a Comment

My lovely blog visitors