Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Porcupine Meatballs

Yum! Who doesn't love meatballs?? These are great alone or with a gravy or dipping sauce(maybe ketchup or BBQ sauce).  Since they have rice in them, you don't really need rice or potatoes on the side...just a nice big salad or other veggie. (Ok, who am I kidding...we had mashed potatoes with them but some bread would be good, too. LOL)


Porcupine Meatballs
WW- 5 meatballs (recipe makes 25 total)
7 points using 90% beef, 6 points if using 95% beef

1 lb ground beef (90 % or better)
2 cups fully cooked rice (I used brown rice)
1 cup shredded lowfat cheese (I used Kraft 2%)
1 tsp Italian seasoning
½ tsp each garlic powder, salt, pepper
Directions: Combine all ingredients and roll into meatballs. Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until fully cooked.

Source- I got this recipe here but I made a couple of changes.  I felt like 3 cups of rice was too much so I made them with 2 cups and 3/4 lb ground beef.  But everyone wanted another meatball or two so this time I upped the recipe to 1 lb and kept the other things the same.  I am not sure about adding more rice to stretch it to more meatballs.  You could try that. I also chose to use 2% shredded cheese to lower the points.  Feel free to experiment with spices and cheeses. :)

Happy eating!
Stacey

3 comments:

  1. oooooh Stacey, these do look pretty good!!!! I might just have to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds yummy!
    Hmmm, I have some ground turkey. I wonder how that would work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We tried this last night and it was a huge hit! TFS, it's a keeper! :-)

    ReplyDelete

My lovely blog visitors