Monday, April 19, 2010

More sewing projects-wrist pin cushion and pillowcase

I'm thinking I need to add "sews" to my blog name. LOL
Here are a couple of small projects I made over the weekend. I have wanted to make a new wrist pin cushion for a long time.  I used this tutorial and it was really easy! I added some plastic inside of the band part under the cushion to keep the pins from poking me (I cut an old credit card in half). It works perfectly and it is sooo much more comfortable and cute than my old wrist pin cushion (which was given to me when I was around 10 by one of my grandmothers...they both gave me sewing kits the same year for Christmas!). I used scraps of fabric from my apron project.











I also made Abby a new pillowcase. Fun! I sewed French seams so that there wouldn't be any raw edges. This was my first time sewing this type of seam...in fact, I don't think I had even heard of it before! Here's a link to a video I watched to learn how.  I made my seams a bit smaller than she does, though (a scant 1/4 inch then a generous 1/4 inch).  
Abby loves her new pillowcase! I used scraps of fabric plus part of the top sheet that came with her toddler bed set.  Both she and Joshua have hated using that top sheet...do your kids like it? Mine prefer the regular bottom sheet and a blanket. So instead of just having it sit unused in the closet, I decided to make a pillowcase with it (I still have more of it for another project). The lighting was poor since it was about midnight when I took this.  It's really much cuter than it looks. :)













I hope you are having a great Monday!!! What are you working on??
(I also have a fun project I made for my sister for her birthday...but I can't share it yet! I will have to remember to post after she opens it. :) )

Happy sewing!
Stacey

1 comment:

My lovely blog visitors