Sunday, May 15, 2011

Roasted Tomatillo Salsa

Lately, I have been signing up to get a big basket of fresh produce each week from Bountiful Baskets.  It's a lot of fun because it's a great price ($15 for two baskets full), I am always surprised by what's inside and we get to try new and different things. This time, I added a Mexican pack and tortillas (cost was extra).

Here's everything I got this week:

This morning I thought I'd try out roasting those tomatillos (and one of the anaheim peppers!).  Here's the yummy salsa recipe I came up with.


Roasted Tomatillo Salsa
8-10 tomatillos (husked and rinsed)
1 anaheim pepper (optional)
1 small onion, roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
large handful of cilantro leaves and tender stems
1/2- 1 jalepeno, stem and seeds removed
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp each salt and pepper

To roast the tomatillos and pepper, preheat broiler on high.  Roast for about 4 minutes on each side or until blackened (keep an eye on them!!!). Remove and allow the tomatillos to cool.  Put the pepper in a ziplock bag for 5-10 minutes to steam.  Peel the pepper and remove stem and seeds.

Cut away the tough stem area on the tomatillos. Add everything to a blender or food processor.  Blend. Taste and adjust seasonings.

Enjoy! Off to make some quesadillas with our new fresh tortillas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My lovely blog visitors