Thursday, January 13, 2011

Black Bean Soup

Here's an easy and tasty recipe I said I'd share with you.  This is filling and is low in calories/WW points. I am not familiar with the new WW points plus, so this is the old point value.

Black Bean Soup
(the original recipe is "spicy" black bean soup but my kids can't handle too much spice so I took it out.  We did however add a big scoop of spicy salsa to the adult bowls this time and it was a yummy addition.) I think this one is from my friend, Becky. :)













Black Bean Soup
POINTS® Value: 3
Servings: 8 (about 1 ½ cups each)
1 medium onion(s), finely chopped
4 medium garlic clove(s), minced
3- 15 oz cans canned black beans, undrained
1 tsp ground cumin (or more!!)
14 1/2 oz fat-free
chicken broth, or vegetable broth
10 oz canned tomatoes with green chilies,

11 oz canned yellow corn, drained

Instructions
1. Coat bottom of a large stockpot with cooking spray. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until onions are soft but not brown, about 5 minutes.
2. Place one can of beans in blender; add sautéed onion mixture and cumin. Cover and blend on high until smooth, about 30 seconds. Pour mixture back into stockpot. (**I ususally just combine steps 2 and 3 and blend it all in the pot with my hand blender.  I also blend the tomatoes so my kids don't eat around them. lol).
3. Place second can of beans and broth in blender and puree until smooth; add to stockpot.
4. Stir third can of beans (do not puree first), tomatoes and green chilies, and corn into stockpot. Bring to a boil, lower heat to medium and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes.

**Serve with chips, avacado or toppings of your choice.  (Extra pts.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

My lovely blog visitors