Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Yummy soup recipe! (Garbanzo beans....of all things!!)

A good friend of mine who lives just a couple of blocks away likes to pawn off  give organic foods her family won't touch to me. (Her hubby gets free samples all the time with his job....fun!)

Well, I decided to use a rock solid bag of garbanzo beans from her that was sitting in my freezer. I found a couple of blended soup recipes online but they had ingredients I didn't have (or even usually buy) so I made up my own simple recipe.  Guess what??  It is TASTY and very satisfying. 

I love eating a bowl of soup for lunch to keep my calories down (I am a night eater!!).  This was yummy and I have three more bowls waiting in the fridge. ;)
 
Garbanzo Bean Soup
Makes six 1 cup servings (I divided mine into four 1 1/2 cup servings)

16 ounces frozen garbanzo beans (or 2 1/2 cups cooked garbanzo beans)
4 cups chicken broth (I used one of those boxed cartons of broth)
2 cloves of garlic-chopped
1 small-medium onion chopped

Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Wedge of lemon

Directions:
Simmer beans, broth, garlic and onion in a large pot for about 30 minutes (with the lid on).  Puree everything together (I used my immersion hand blender but you can do it in a blender in batches...be careful!!!). Add salt and pepper to taste.

Now, it was okay just like this.  BUT...olive oil and lemon made it super yummy! Even my six year old son said how good the olive oil was drizzled on it.

Top with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil (I used 1/2 tsp on my bowl) and a small squeeze of fresh lemon.

Calories (without the oil) in ONE CUP- 158
1/2 tsp EVOO- 20 calories extra (well worth it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

My lovely blog visitors