Monday, September 22, 2008
Menu Planning Monday
Ack! Where did the time go? I haven't posted anything since last Monday...oops!!
This week it is family favorites week. I have two of our faves on the menu this week.
Our #1 favorite is homemade PIZZA! We are having pizza on Saturday. Here's our favorite pizza dough recipe. I also use this for breadsticks (brushed with butter and parmesan) and calzones.
3 cups flour (I use half whole wheat and half all-purpose)
1 pkg active dry yeast
2 TBSP olive oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 cup warm water (110-120 degrees F)
1. Dissolve yeast and sugar in water. Let sit for about 5-10 minutes until foamy.
2. Combine flour and salt in a large glass or plastic bowl.
3. Mix all of the ingredients in the big bowl. Mix with a spoon until it is mixed enough to start kneading. Press it together with your hand in the bowl until it is all combined.
4. Knead until fairly smooth on a board. Add a little flour if necessary. (With whole wheat, it won’t feel as smooth as just white flour. I just knead it about 50 times and call it good.) *To be honest, lately, I have been kneading it in my Kitchen Aid Mixer...so easy! Then I follow the rest of the steps.)
5. Place dough in a bowl sprayed with cooking spray (or lightly oiled). Cover with a piece of plastic wrap sprayed with cooking spray. Let rise in a warm area for about 30 minutes. I turn on my oven for a couple of minutes then shut it off to have a warm place without drafts.)
6. Punch down and let rest for about 5 minutes before rolling it out. (I used to let it rise for another 1/2 hour before punching down and rolling it out but this is quicker and it turns out about the same.)
7. Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes…depending on how thin you roll it. Sometimes it only takes 15 minutes.
* It's good if you brush it with a little olive oil after baking it, too.
* I've also added different seasonings such as parmesan and Italian seasonings to it.
Another FAVE is Taco Soup. So easy and tasty. We're having it on Friday because I can make it then put it into the crockpot to cook until we are ready to eat.
1 pkg dry ranch dressing mix
1 pkg dry taco soup mix
1/2-1 lb ground beef (browned and grease drained)
1 can corn (don't drain)
1 can diced tomatoes (don't drain)
1 can pinto beans (don't drain)
1 can black beans (don't drain)
1/2-1 cup of water (I like it sort of soupy but if you want it more chili-like, don't add any water.)
**That is usually all I add if it's just us. But when we have more people over for dinner, I add extra tomatoes and beans. You could use kidney beans, too. It's very versatile. One of my good friends, Melanie, also adds bell peppers and onions to hers.
Directions-Add all ingredients to your crockpot (make sure you brown and drain the beef first) and cook on low all day or until ready to eat. You can cook it for only a couple of hours if you want.
And here's my menu for this week. Monday-Thursday are all new recipes for me(most from a cookbook and not online). I love trying new things! I will post the recipes if I like them. :)
Monday- Quick Kielbasa Skillet and a side of Swiss Chard
Tuesday-World's Easiest Black Bean Soup, grilled zuchinni and maybe some cornbread
Wednesday-Cheesy Chicken Pot Pie (I think I'll make homemade biscuits to use instead of the pie crust)
Thursday- Comforting Chicken Noodle Soup
Friday- Taco Soup (see above) and garlic muffins-we've made these muffins twice now and they are soooo yummy! I cut the butter down to 2 TBS and omit the onion (the first time because I was out of onions and the second time because we liked them so much the first time.)
Saturday- Homemade pizza, breadsticks and alfredo sauce for dipping.