Sunday, January 1, 2012

Good Luck Dip for 2012!

Need a yummy way to eat your black eyed peas today for good luck in 2012?
My grandma (or "Poolma" as I nicknamed her as a young child since she was the grandma with the pool.  The name stuck and we all called her "Poolma!!") would always make some black eyed peas on New Year's Day and we would be obligated to eat them.  I don't think I liked them much as a kid...but I knew they were essential for a good new year. ;)


I had a bag of frozen black eyed peas (from the same friend mentioned in my garbanzo bean soup recipe below!) and decided to make something a little different that I thought my family would be likely to devour eat. 
DIP!  Who doesn't love a good dip?? This is sort of like 7 layer bean dip...but fresher and yummier. ;) So make this...today! Or tomorrow if you have to go to the store.  Better late than never.  My family could use a little good luck in the upcoming year...what about your family? :) The great thing about this dip is that you can make it to your preferences...add guacamole or black olives, take out the cilantro, etc. Make it yours, make it YUMMY...just make it!

2012 Good Luck Dip
Black eyed peas (canned, frozen and defrosted or dried and cooked)- about 2 cups
1-2 tsp cumin
Sour cream- (I didn't measure...maybe 1/2 a cup or more)
1 TBS taco seasoning (optional)
Salsa
Lettuce- chopped (about a cup...up to you!)
Cilantro- chopped (maybe 1/4 cup...as much as you would like)
Chopped fresh tomatoes
Shredded cheese (We like it finely shredded for this.)
Chopped green onions (about four)

Directions:
1. Drain your black eyed peas well and mix with some cumin to give them a better flavor ;) .
2. Mash up about half of the peas.  I used a hand blender, but a fork and some elbow grease would work as well. Spread peas out on a platter.
3. Mix sour cream with some taco seasoning and spread out over peas.
4. Spread enough salsa out over the sour cream to cover it with a thin layer.
5.  Add some shredded lettuce and cilantro.  I like to chop the two together so the cilantro flavor gets all through the lettuce.  (I do this for our tacos, too...YUM!)
6. Add your shredded cheese, then the chopped tomatoes and lastly the green oinions.
Serve with tortilla chips and ENJOY the good luck you will receive in the NEW YEAR. :)

Happy New Year everyone!!!  I hope you all have a fabulous 2012!! :)

Love and blessings to you and your family.
Stacey

No comments:

Post a Comment

My lovely blog visitors